With every changing season, we are reminded of some of our favourite flavours and spices. This month, we recommend another simple and delicious fireside favourite : harvest-spiced apples. This is a great dessert to make for a spring party, or an evening by the outdoor fireplace with the family.
Follow these steps to enjoy a delicious, healthy snack:
4-5 apples, cut into wedges
1 cup of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
4 tablespoons of butter, sliced
8-14 caramel candies
¼ cup of raisins (optional)
1. Prepare coals or fire.
2. Mix together butter and brown sugar in a bowl.
3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins to the mixture.
4. Place apples in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil (about the size of a cookie sheet) and spread mixture evenly over apples.
5. Evenly distribute caramel candies over the mixture.
6. Bring up edges of aluminum foil and close around apples, twisting up the ends of the foil to give yourself a handle to grab onto.
7. Place aluminum foil over coals or hang over fire pit for 30-40 minutes.
Wearing protective hand coverings, begin testing the foil package after about 30 minutes. When the apples feel soft inside the foil package, your harvest-spiced apples are ready to enjoy!